Monday, March 1, 2021

Working in La Paz

Yesterday was a travel day, today a work day. Tomorrow I'll go boating. Fun! Granted it will be a short trip to the marina, but even so it will feel so good to be back on the water at the helm of SV Quijote. It'll be weird being on board all by myself.

The wind was really whipping today. It's supposed to settle down tomorrow thankfully. It's no fun trying to navigate around million dollar boats in gusty side-winds.

It was a productive day on board SVQ. Mark called at one point and I told him it is a good thing he isn't coming until Wednesday. I was up to my elbows in piles of stuff, trying to get it all sorted.

I discovered that most of the grain based foods purchased last year to take us through the South Pacific were infested with bugs. I had to dispose of a lot of pancake mix, oatmeal, nuts, cereals, etc. Bags and bags of it. It will be good to reprovision with fresh food anyway, but what a waste.

I've also discovered that the plastic containers engine oil comes in don't withstand pressure changes well. I had several of them onboard for oil changes. It seems that weather blows through and the atmospheric pressure changes cause the containers to expand and collapse, which creates stress cracks and oil leaks. What a mess.

I'm looking forward to getting to the marina tomorrow. Quijote will finally get a bath.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that time and temp changes would have its effect on stuff stored in the boat like that over such a small period of time. Yucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the infested foodstuffs.

    ReplyDelete