Sunday, May 2, 2021

Flinging Birds

It feels like it just keeps getting colder. I'm wearing my OR hoodie and my Primaloft jacket with my foul weather bibs below deck and add my heavy sailing jacket and foul weather jacket top side. I'm warm, but only just.

I did fuel math today (5/1 @ 16:00) . Fuel remaining by counting engine hours: 21 gallons. Fuel remaining by gauge: 35 gallons. 188 miles to refuel.
Engine rpm options:
2000 rpm: 20 gallons needed, 3 am arrival at fuel dock.
1800 rpm: 18 gallons needed, 6 am arrival at fuel dock.
1600 rpm: 15 gallons needed, 11 am arrival at fuel dock

We set the rpm to 1700. The burn rates are guess work. We really have no idea if we're going to run out of fuel or not. No wind in sight. We have food for a week if it's needed to wait for wind.

Danny tells a story from his watch last night of small birds being harassed by big birds until they were forced to land on the deck or crash into the dodger. He'd scoop them up with the fishing net and fling them into the air where they flew away.

1 comment:

  1. I am very surprised at the sensitivity of gas consumption to RPM. I would conclude the engine runs in quite a narrow RPM range......

    ReplyDelete